“The Portfolio Project”
What is a portfolio?
Oak Hill Academy is excited to offer the opportunity for the eighth-grade class to create an online digital portfolio using my.bulbapp.com. The portfolio is a collection of the student’s academic and personal achievements. It will include projects, essays, personal reflections, descriptions of activities, pictures, and videos. Students can show skills through videos and pictures that a number grade cannot capture. It is a chance for the student to tell their story of who they are and what they have accomplished. When completed, it can be used for several purposes: to show teachers, private school applications, sports recruiting, volunteer work, and job applications.
- Bulb allows students to organize their work in two ways. They can create a Collection or a Page. A collection is a group of pages on one project or subject whereas a Page is one place where an activity can be completed.
- Privacy and sharing settings can be controlled. Students do not have to share their entire portfolios. They can simply share a Collection or a Page for specific people to view. Only the people with the link can view it.
- Bulb has many different features that allow students to upload work in a creative way.
- Bulb portfolios are owned by the student for life. Students can add to their portfolio in high school, and even use it for college applications.
- Parents can assist their children when creating portfolios. They are highly encouraged to view and discuss the portfolio during the creative process.
The journey has begun…
Our goal is to have every student create a digital portfolio; however, students will learn much more. The project focuses on planning, creating, editing, and publishing. They will learn how to organize material and use content-creation tools to upload pictures, links, work, and videos. Students have already created an account and are considering what to upload to their portfolios. The creative journey has begun!
~Liz Forsyth, 4th grade teacher