Best Large Delegation – Oak Hill Academy Model UN Team 2022
On Friday, March 4th Oak Hill Academy took a group of sixth, seventh, and eighth graders to participate in the Christian Brothers Academy’s Model United Nations competition. Model United Nations (Model UN) is a worldwide organization that gives students in middle school, high school, and college the opportunity to simulate the research, debate, and problem-solving of the real UN.
Our students did a tremendous job preparing and presenting as was evident by the THIRTEEN individual awards bestowed! Oak Hill Academy received the most awards out of all of the schools at the Model UN Conference. Oak Hill Academy students were awarded the Best Large Delegation and were complimented by their preparedness and seriousness.
- Race for Africa:
- Andie Sparano: Best Delegate
- Luli Mitchell (Red Bank): Outstanding Delegate
- Arian Li (Marlboro): Honorable Mention Position Paper
- The New Cold War
- Annabel Sparano (Spring Lake): Best Delegate
- Daniel Josowitz (Toms River): Honorable Mention Delegate
- Sienna DeAngelis (Holmdel): Honorable Mention Position Paper
- Katie Mirne (Marlboro): Best Delegate
- Dimitrios Giannakopoulos (Colts Neck): Best Position Paper
- Lawrence Royce (Tinton Falls): Verbal Commendation
- Gun Violence
- Guru (DJ) Chauhan (Little Silver): Verbal recognition
- UN Women: Equal Access
- Zara Jain (Marlboro): Outstanding Delegate
- Leela Kumar(Marlboro): Honorable Mention Position Paper
- The Conquest of Antarctica
- Henry Griffith (Colts Neck): Honorable Mention Position Paper
Model UN asks a lot of its middle school participants: in-depth historical research, clear writing, persuasive speaking, resilience, authentic listening, empathy, creativity, and imagination. Students are forced to think on their feet, answer questions on the fly, and compose complex arguments in cooperation with complete strangers in the span of mere minutes. The team of students worked diligently to research their countries and positions in order to be prepared for the event. The Model UN students were moderated by OHA teachers Mrs. Lydia Jain and Mrs. Linda Vacca.