The 17 Big Advantages of Blended Learning
Blended Learning is the learning strategy that presents student learning via a mixture of instructional modes. The power of technology joins with the experience of the teacher as a facilitator and expert planner. The staff at Oak Hill Academy, one of the outstanding private schools in Monmouth County, New Jersey has studied a blended learning program for their Prekindergarten to eighth grade students and have identified 17 of the ways that this approach can benefit our children during this instructional process. The following is a small sampling of how this strategy brings excitement and deep understanding into the classroom.
The advantages are:
- Greater application of 21st century skills.Students are given the opportunity to explore and collaborate topics while feeling a sense of ownership.
- Learner independence is enhanced while the student sets goals and traces their own progress.
- Students quickly satisfy their desire to learn meaningful material and develop a joy of learning.
- Student commitment is stimulated and they are eager to engage in challenging topics.
- Areas of interest are exposed and special talents are utilized.
- The learner develops a high level of engagement.A sense of excitement is inherent in the process of wanting to know.
- The student is pushed to use higher order thinking skills.Learning disjointed facts are no longer the focal point of instruction; rather deeper understanding is the goal.
- Instruction becomes more personalized allowing individual learning paths to be established.
- A broader depth of individual learning is possible utilizing the power of technology and constant feedback.
- Using technology is a big time saver permitting the students to access information quickly and then act on their findings.
- Higher student achievement is attained in a more relaxed and inspiring format.
- Provides the structure to help meet individual student goals.More focus on student likes and strengths can be utilized.
- The blended structure allows more time to be spent on discussion and writing. Online forums create the opportunity for debate development of thought.
- Curriculum is no longer dictated by a timeline; rather students are given the ability to master topics before moving on.
- Real learning can now occur as students research topics building curiosity and creativity.
- Students have an increased interest in school and they develop a greater attention span because of the high level of engagement.
- Our children live in a high tech savvy environment and the use of media helps them quickly access material to enhance or clarify information.
We are living in a rapidly changing academic world and this move to a blended educational model will change our schools and will benefit all of our children’s futures.